Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Unsuccess and Successes

A FAIL

Atlanta obviously raised me to falsely believe in available parking. This belief is not shared by the rest of the cities in the world. In Columbus, unlike in Atlanta, the fact that people have cars that we need to park places that aren’t a mile away from our desired destination was not considered in the city planning. In Atlanta we have these things called parking lots. They are everywhere. If one ventures downtown, which is only if one wants to visit a fancy restaurant, the ghosts of what once used to be clubs before Atlanta decided they wanted to “clean up” downtown, or the High (which is an art museum), one parks in a convenient parking garage or paid lot. There are usually a number of parking garages from which one may pick the most convenient one. In downtown Columbus, there seems to be just one parking garage which is always full. Parking lots are nonexistent, and if you happen to see what you think is a parking lot, it is actually a tow-away zone. Street parking is usually scattered inexplicably, and I’m not sure how one is supposed to figure out WHERE it is unless one drives around aimlessly in what one’s GPS can only assume is complete idiocy or a blatant attempt to foil its mission of directing you to what may or may not be the location you requested. So, when one leaves 30 minutes before the time one wants to be somewhere in a downtown or otherwise city-like location 10 minutes away, expect to be about 40 minutes late. Thus, a fail. However, I must ask: is this a Columbus fail or a Kate fail?



SUCCESSES

I met a very helpful lady at Portfolio Creative, a job agency in Columbus, who is going to help me find a job! =) I also applied to a couple more job positions. I have had all my meetings (informational interviews, I suppose) with Columbus alumni from Kenyon involved in writing, publishing, editing. Because of these meetings, I have made lots of great networking contacts who have all been so nice and helpful. =) Since Kenyon was such a helpful resource for networking, I called up my high school and got a list of alumni living in Columbus. Also, I contacted the Kenyon Review, which I used to work for, and got some pieces to edit for this internship I’m applying to (to which I’m applying). In addition, I wrote a bunch of blog posts and got xmas shopping done for almost everyone!

1 comment: